Safaricom (NSE: SCOM) is this week marking 20 years since it was officially launched on 23rd October 2000.
The anniversary celebrations will see Safaricom renew its commitment to its customers as it ushers in its third decade of growth. Through a brand campaign dubbed ‘Twende Tukiuke’, a callout to go beyond what is thought possible, the service provider will also showcase the power of mobile technology in transfoming lives.
“In the past two decades, Safaricom has grown from a telecommunication service provider to a technology company and our customers have been a key part of this journey. We are cognizant that technology and a data-driven economy can further support Kenya’s economic growth and these will be our launchpad for the next 20 years,” said Peter Ndegwa, CEO, Safaricom.
The next phase of Safaricom’s growth will be driven by a vision to become a purpose-led technology company by 2025. This will see the service provider continue its innovation tradition and simplify its products and services in line with its FOR YOU brand promise.
Safaricom will also continue to support the growth of SMEs and Micro-SMEs, which are the engines of economic growth in our country, by offering enhanced financial services and connectivity solutions.
“We plan to go beyond to new frontiers, be more present, more world-class, and enable new platforms to launch our SMEs into greater possibilities,” added Peter.
Key Highlights: Going Beyond
- Leverage fibre and 4G network to provide internet to 1 million homes and businesses over the next 5 years.
- Achieve 100% 4G access across the country by end of December 2020.
- Launch of Data Usage Transparency, which provides customers with detailed usage statements.
- Commitment to support MSMEs with launch of Pochi la Biashara – an innovative product that will allow separation of business and personal wallets on M-PESA.
- Ease doing MPESA Business with aggregation of all MPESA services under the USSD *334#.
- Enable SMEs to run their businesses digitally through enhanced connectivity and financing propositions.
- Through M-PESA Africa, evolve M-PESA into a lifestyle platform and universal payment network on the continent.